Sunday, October 4, 2009

MMM: Maps

"Somewhere"
5 X 7 Canvas Panel

This week's challenge on Mixed Media Monday was to do a piece of art that in some way incorporated maps. I usually spend the week dreaming of / mulling over / planning on what I will do for each prompt, but this week it was not happening: I don't know, for some reason my creative block was in full swing and I could not get past it. And then this morning I went to a local craft store where I found this pretty little trim on sale. I bought it in green and pink and came home with the seed of an idea: if I could in some way create a map piece that was colorful enough to support this bright trim, I may have something . . .

Isn't it magical? Not the art, but the idea that we can create something out of nothing, if not an idea? That we can take bits and pieces and come up with a cohesive narrative? And in this case, all from a fabulous prompt and a piece of acid green trim. . .

"Somewhere" represents the hope that another baby is out there waiting for us. It was created using Gesso, fiber paste, acrylic, a transparency by Karen Russell (Narratives), fabric, ink, vintage children's illustration, a vintage spoon, a (tiny little pretend) compass, candle wax dripped onto the edges, a single Swarovski stone and of course, that green trim.
For more work with Maps, please check out www.MixedMediaMonday.Wordpress.com.

18 comments:

Lori Saul said...

Beautiful and creative use of images and mixed elements fot this theme!

Diane said...

Oooh, Kristen! This is marvellous! I love the colours, the design - everything. I'm so glad that trim gave you a prompt to create this piece - and I know there will be another little angel joining your family :-) Diane

Anonymous said...

The colors are fantastic, and the design is a delight!

indybev said...

Marvelous colors in this creative piece, and the accompanying journaling is such a lovely story. I hope a new addition to your little family is right around the corner!

Amy said...

WOW..it is a real delight!!!! I love your journal page's..great artwork!

Gayle Page-Robak said...

So beautiful!!

~*~Patty S said...

Oh WOW Kristen ! I adore what you've created and it is a thrill beginning with just an idea and going from there. You have combined some of my fav elements, cutlery and wax are high on the list. Beautiful art piece!

~*~Patty S said...

sorry spelled your name with an 'e' :) Kristin

LivArtNow said...

Wow, this is sooo lovely!! what a sweet piece you've created!!! Very nice work!!!

Linda

Astrid Maclean said...

Stunning, the embellishments are fantastic, - LOVE it!

Nicola said...

Wow!!! This is so lovely, and so great that you could work past your creative block. Wonderful work and I'm sure you will get your new addition to your family and that will be one lucky child :0)

Moni said...

Eine klasse Werk!

DMG said...

Oh, but this art IS magical, Kristin! When I read your words today, I felt as it I'd written them; they express exactly how I feel about creating from mixed media. This is my first visit to your blog, and I'm so glad to find it. You're a girl after my own heart.

Janny said...

Beautiful, great colours!

K J D said...

Wow... this is amazing.... I am so glad you found the green/pink trim to inspire this wonderful piece.

Karen

Yvonne said...

wow, very sweet and lovely piece and with a great image.

sweet southern inspiration said...

Love it! I am so glad we took that trip to the craft store together!! You said I would be seeing that trim.. and here it is! All of your work is great Kristin. I am so lucky to have you as a friend and get to pick your brain (like allison and I did last weekend)! Thanks again for everything, we are so excited about her room and hope to get started on some of it this weekend. I will keep you posted.
Nina

Betty said...

Great piece, love the tassels.