Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Something I Never Ever but EVER Thought I'd Do (EVER). . . .

Kendra, age 7

And as I write this, I still can't believe it. BUT (deep breath) here goes: we're pulling Kendra out of 3rd grade and homeschooling her. 

Now, I know what some of you are thinking - and if I'm reading your mind then yes - I am a tiny bit crazy for trying it. Truth be told, it took a year of pleading and begging on the part of the little FP (Future Paleontologist) for me to even consider it. I mean really, homeschooling?! That's for other people. What kind of other people, I had no idea. But I was certain I wasn't one of them. . . . 

And then my neighbor went off the deep end and started homeschooling her daughter. Before her, I had never met anyone - let alone a friend of mine - who actually did that. And my mind was opened a crack to the possibility. As we spent second grade hauling Kendra to and from school, wrestling with homework every night and being tied to a strict schedule, my friend spent the year doing just the opposite. They had freedom to come and go as they please, freedom to study what, when and how they wanted and, more than anything else, the freedom to be together. And since I know we have a few precious years left before Kendra's friends become more important to her than her parents, it was that freedom that I envied the most. But still, homeschooling? Um, no. I couldn't imagine it for us.

And then, I started researching it. I read everything I could get my hands on and spoke with everyone we knew in the field. I also started paying closer attention to the Mommy Bloggers I admire who homeschool. And in the end, what I came to understand is this: when children are given the freedom to study what they're interested in, they become active participants in the process of learning. Of course there's core curriculum to cover, but the rest is up to us. So, if Kendra wants to study dinosaurs throughout the year, we can. If she wants to learn about Sharks, no problem. And if reptiles are on her hit list, we can cover that too. And the most exciting part? We can travel! We can study something one week and, money and time permitting, go see it the next. It all started to sound possible. And exciting.

Don't get me wrong: I know it's going to be a challenge. I know there'll be times when I wonder what the hell I was thinking and I know that my free time will pretty much be thrown out the window. But I think I'm okay with that. Only time will tell. In the meantime, what I can say is this: Kendra will have my undivided attention. We'll travel as a family, take time to pursue her passions and make third grade one to remember. If nothing else, it will be an adventure. One which I am now looking forward to.

So if you see my Insta-ham digging up fossils or baking a cake on some random Tuesday when we should have been at school, now you know what's up. Who knows, I may even post some of the things she's doing here. (I have a feeling a lot of it will be creative). In the meantime, wish me luck. And patience. I'm probably gonna need a lot of both. . . . 

Kristin xo

34 comments:

GlorV1 said...

You'll be a very good teacher Kristin, that's for sure. In any event, good luck, enjoy the time shared with your daughter. Congrats. on making up your mind about such a very important part of your daughter's life. She will be the better for it. Take care.

Marcia Beckett said...

Wow, good luck with everything! I'm sure you will have a great time together plus having a friend homeschooling woukd be helpful too. I know some families get together and do lessons together for different subjects. There's a lot of homeschool blogs out there.

Denise Price said...

I have a lot of friends who homeschool, and they all love it. There are really a lot of groups that you can join, now that homeschooling is so popular. Have fun with your new endeavor! (My son will be very jealous when he hears about the dinosaur/shark/reptile curriculum. Although he actually knows so much about dinosaurs, HE could homeschool ME on that subject!)

Rita said...

Congratulations on your big decision! Good luck, I think it will be wonderful!

Christine said...

Good luck with your decision, homeschooling is a choice many people make, so you are not alone.

Life according to Lenetta said...

Good luck to you. I homeschooled my daughter one year and that was enough for both of us but it was an adventure and we can say we explored it. I wish you the best.

Mandy said...

Woooooohoooooooooo....you will never look back.....anytime you need advice...I'm here...xxx

Virginia said...

You are very brave but it's obvious you are ready for the change and I'm sure it's going to be absolutely awesome! Enjoy your time together and hope to see a little of that on your blog or instagram!

Much love

Valerie-Jael said...

Good luck, this will be a big challenge! Valerie

Jenny said...

Good for you Kristin... loved reading your post... it makes SO much sense... especially incorporating what Kendra wants to learn... it will be an adventure for sure.. and I just know you will be an inspiring and wonderful teacher to your beautiful daughter...

Jenny ♥

Giggles said...

You are a very loving, patient, intelligent good soul, I have no doubt this year will be a huge success. Even though my daughter went to public school the things she holds dearest to this day are things I taught her! All the best...there is NOTHING better than a mothers love and compassion!! Can't wait to hear about your adventures!

Hugs Giggles

JansArtyJunk said...

Good luck in your new adventure Kristin...Enjoy your time home-schooling your lovely daughter...they grow up far too quickly!!
Jan x

denthe said...

Enjoy this new adventure! It WILL requite a lot of patience I guess, but I'm sure you'll make it through ...

K J D said...

Something I never considered... I guess I never thought of it as an option.

I think you will be so good at it and that it will benefit your whole family. Good luck!

You are going to have fun :)

Karen xxx

Unknown said...

I admire you and look forward to hearing about the adventure. Yours and hers!

Linda Kunsman said...

Of course I wish you luck and patience, but I don't think you'll be needing it. You certainly have thought this through and I know of a family who's Mom has homeschooled her three daughters since the beginning ( the oldest I think is 13 now)and they never had one regret. Have an awesome school year!

Dreaming of Vintage said...

Good luck with everything Kristin!!!

Carmen said...

I've often thought of it, I have so much respect for you and what you are doing.

Joanna said...

Wow, that's a brave choice - but I have every confidence that you and Kendra will have a whale of a time!

Wishing you both a wonderful year, full of learning and love.

xxx

Annie Claxton said...

Best of luck in your new adventure - it's nearly twenty years since I took my then 13 year old out of school because he was so unhappy and underachieving and my only regret was that I didn't do it sooner! I think you have more homeschoolers there than here in there and I know there's lots of support. I firmly believe that "normal" school just isn't for some children and by homeschooling her, you will be able giving Kendra the chance to grow into who she wants to be. There may be times when you will struggle, but have outrage and know you are doing the right thing. Sorry for rambling :)

Annie Claxton said...

Oh dear, should have proofread my ramble before posting! I meant to say "here in the UK" and "courage" not "outrage"! Hehehe :)

Carin said...

Oh my goodness! How fun! Good luck in your new adventure! Can't wait to hear more about it as it unfolds! xoxoxo

Terri Corona said...

Congrats Kristin - if anyone can do it, you can!

Šolanje na domu-Waldorf said...

Wow! I applaud you. I think at the current stage the schooling all over the world is, homeschooling is the best option. Good luck to you. :)

Aranthe said...

I couldn't help laugh a little at this post. What kinds of people home school their kids? Smart ones!

My SIL home-schooled my nephew and niece. The nephew graduated in the top 15% of Vanderbilt his law school class, currently clerks for a federal appeals court judge and has an assured position awaiting him with a respected commercial boutique law firm as soon his clerkship ends. He's only just turned 24.

His sister, 21, chose to pursue an associate degree in hospital administration and is now administrator of medical records for a hospital on the Gulf Coast.

So by all means, do it! When your daughter is happily digging up dinosaur bones while her friends are plodding along on the one-size-fits-all educational track, she will thank you for it.

Heather Henry said...

Hooray! I am so excited for you and Kendra. It is going to be the most spectacular journey/adventure of your life. You will both learn amazing and wonderful things and have so much fun doing it. I know you will be a fantastic teacher. You are so much fun and have a tremendous amount of positive energy, which will make it so great for Kendra. I think that both of you will absolutely love it. We spent a lot of our study time outdoors, which is relaxing and stress relieving. Have fun with it and enjoy every moment you have with her. :) Yay!!

Erin K said...

Oh wow, what a big choice to make. I'm sure it's going to be the best experiance both you and Kendra will have together. And there's lots of homeschooling information out there. The one on one she's going to get is going to be the best thing for her too, being able to study what she likes and having plenty of moments to take field trips. ^_^

Me and my sister were homeschooled for awhile and it's one of my fondest memories I have.

All the wonderful best to you all. <3

Sharon Fritchman said...

Hi Kristen! I am so happy for you and your daughter! I want to wish you all the best with your new adventure and I absolutely KNOW that you will be the best teacher ever! Thanks for sharing your post with all of us!

ANN ALICIA LAUGH said...

:-) if your daughter love homeschooling :-) do it In Europe its unser law and I don't know how it works in us. Maybe if my mum could do that...I would have been more happy I don't know but as future teacher ...I can't say its a bad thing :-) :-) enjoy time with your troll ^^ (French use it to mean kids :-))

poodle skirt said...

nice post......

Cameron said...

I'm in awe...and maybe a little bit jealous...haha!

Whenever you want to take a day trip out this way, let me know :)

You guys are going to have a fantastic year!

Mary said...

Homeschooling is best schooling your daughter could receive in today's educational environment. You local library will probably be your best resource next to local homeschooling associations. Homeschooling parents usually stick together to help each other. If I had school age children it would be the ONLY education for grades K4-10. The public schools are so centered on social engineering that they don't have time to teach the reading, math, history, geography, or science. 90% of homeschooled children score above their public school counterparts and GO TO COLLEGE. It is sad to see the waste of public school funds that produce under educated children. I wish you good luck and your child will thank you when she is grown.
Mary

BJ said...

WOW what an adventure to embark on. I support my son at home as much as is possible and as he is nearly 15yrs I am rekindling my Trigonometry skills and now learning the basics of Chemistry which I had to drop as moving schools hindered me continuing it. Have fun and learn loads. BJ

E Makes Art said...

Oh wow! This is awesome! Many of my friends homeschool and they seem to really enjoy it! It might take a little getting used to, but you, my dear, can certainly handle it!

xoE